Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Strawberry Picking

Yesterday we went strawberry picking at a local farm. We love our local farms, and try to support them as often as possible. This one particular farm has been around for a couple of generations, and like most smaller farms, has gone to u-pick and birthday parties in the barn and corn mazes to try and stay afloat. Still, the owners are down-to-earth types, not boutique farmers. (I'm thinking of the type that ditch the corporate world and run what I consider "designer" farms with speciality produce and cute gift "shoppes." Not that there is anything really wrong with that--more credit to them for trying this life--but it seems less authentic to me.) Hmm, that sounds like my immigrant roots are showing.

A few years ago, when I started out on this health journey with my family, I gave up strawberries unless they were local....which means we only eat them for a few weeks in June. I had read so many scary things about imported pesticide-laden strawberries and strawberries from big production farms out west that use migrant workers...things unfit to print. It really grossed me out.

Too bad, because strawberries are such a healthy fruit. A cup of strawberries contains more vitamin C than a cup of orange juice. They are rich in antioxidants and fight inflammation that can lead to a host of diseases.

Local berries usually have more flavor, since they are eaten soon after they are picked (in our case, just 1/2 an hour later!). If there are any left and they start to get too soft, I'll toss them into smoothies or yogurt.

Since the season is so short, we'll try to pick a few times a week and eat our fill. Maybe I'll try freezing some, to use later in the year in muffins or smoothies or even stirred into yogurt. It won't matter much that they'll be mushy after thawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment