Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thoughts on Stuff

Life has gotten in the way of posting. Stuff has gotten in the way of posting. Good stuff and some bad stuff.

Good stuff:
  • Kids are home and busy, needing driving to and fro, or just attention. I'll give it to them because that's my job and summertime feels like the only time of the year that they are mine again. The rest of the time they are preoccupied with, rightly enough, school and friends and activities.
  • College thoughts and plans and visits for DD17. Although I am torn, like most parents, about the looming Leaving Home, I remind myself it's a Good Thing given all she's gone through.
  • Outdoor time, when the weather cooperates, means less time indoors and on the computer.

Bad Stuff:

  • Misunderstandings and he said, she said between various people I know. Basically, I am not responsible for your happiness. Let me repeat, I am not responsible for your happiness. I think I need to take up yoga or something just to deal.
  • Any sort of criticism directed at DD17 and her life choices. She can do what she wants, when she wants, where she wants. Or not do anything. She has earned it. Her successes despite what life has thrown at her are numerous, and if she has some insecurities or fears, no one has the right to judge her. Walk a mile in her shoes before you have any idea of what her world has been like.
  • In the same vein, just because we made it look easy dealing with a sick child and keeping her siblings on an even keel through it all, don't assume we don't have any worries and fears and issues. We (her parents) did not cave nor fall apart (well, not much) nor need medication to get through a grueling ordeal, but that doesn't mean it didn't take its toll. And no, it's not over. The past year exemplified that. Until the doctor says, go off on your merry way and we need never see you again, it's not over.

So that's what's been going on...some good, some bad, but I'm just trying to ride the wave without thinking too hard, although sometimes that's a losing battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment