Friday, March 5, 2010

Exercising While Sick

For the high school athlete, late winter means tournaments, playoffs and state or national meets. For my son, unfortunately, this year it means illness. DS16 is suffering from a high fever, sore throat, and chest congestion. While I don't think it's serious, it does mean he has to skip a spot he's earned in a regional meet.

He's been under some pressure from other kids to just show up and run anyway. His coach agrees with me that it's not a good idea in general, and I would never let him try it. He most likely wouldn't do well, probably infect lots of other kids, and more importantly, prolong his illness.

But it does pose an interesting question: should you exercise when you're sick? Well, it depends.

Experts generally agree that with a mild illness, exercise might help you feel better. And some people swear that they "sweat out" the start of a cold by working out. (I think getting some outdoor exercise can help, especially this time of year. Even a brisk walk helps me clear my head, literally and figuratively.)

But is it safe? Turns out there is something called the "neck rule" that you should go by: if symptoms are above the neck (sniffles, sore throat), you can exercise if you feel up to it. But if symptoms are below the neck (aches and chills from a fever, chest congestion), you should skip the workout.

And this is scary: exercising with a fever can worsen your illness and perhaps lead to more serious conditions like pneumonia or even respiratory failure.

As disappointing as it is to miss an event you've trained months for, DS16 is taking a few days off, at least, and using that time to catch up on the schoolwork he's missed while he's been home sick. He'll be well-rested for the start of spring sports, and there will always be more races. Nothing is more important to me than keeping him healthy. And I think he gets it...he has the big picture in his mind.

Now I just hope I don't catch this thing....

No comments:

Post a Comment