Thursday, October 14, 2010

Quick Sauteed Spinach

We must eat spinach at least three times a week, especially lately. That's because I've been craving it, which suggests to me I must need whatever nutrients it contains. Spinach is rich in Vitamins K, A, and C, as well as iron. Of course, the old Popeye cartoons spring to mind whenever I make spinach...maybe it will help my biceps and I can lay off the weights!

Prevention magazine printed a tasty spinach recipe a few months ago which I've made several times, and will probably make again tonight. Although the recipe calls for baby spinach leaves, I've successfully used frozen spinach. I know I've mentioned this before, but I always pick up several bags of frozen organic spinach when I food shop. They're an easy way to keep this vegetable handy. And honestly, the spinach E. coli scare of a few years ago makes me a bit squeamish towards fresh spinach.

The Prevention recipe has you saute some sliced garlic in a bit of olive oil for about a minute. Then you add 1/4 cup of raisins and 1/4 cup of chicken broth (you could use water) and cook until broth is evaporated, about 1 or 2 minutes. Add 1 lb. of baby spinach (this amount is flexible, but fresh spinach does cook down to almost nothing), and stir until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 2 tsp. of honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment