Thursday, May 14, 2009

Termites!

We have termites. We have to treat the house. It's so frustrating because, although we live in a heavily wooded area, we've done everything to keep termites away (no mulch around the foundation, brush and wood far from the house, etc.).

This is the kind of dilemma that haunts me and keeps me up at night. It's so hard to dodge the carcinogens in our world. We've done the research on the chemical that will be used, and despite myriad assurances that it's safe, I always feel we're being snookered. Who knows what they'll discover about this chemical in thirty years? I guess the only thing that sustains me is that I'm committed to keeping us as healthy as possible (to take care of the "terrain" as it's called in David Servan-Schreiber's book).

We've decided to treat the outside only, and not drill into the basement floor to treat the inside. This will of course void our guarantee, but we'll try it first. If it doesn't work, we'll do the inside. (For which I'm sure we'll be charged, again. Sigh. It's only money.)

No comments:

Post a Comment