Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday Random

It's been a quiet week here. Fall sports ended last week, so the older two are home right after school. It feels like we have a lot of free time suddenly. Of course, the upcoming holidays and various school events as well as winter sports will ramp up shortly. I don't stress *that* much about the holidays anymore. I really do try to take it as it comes, because I know control and planning are illusions. And, I really try not to think too far ahead. It's a useless exercise and just serves to make me anxious. (It was the only way I got through our medical dramas...a huge shift in how I function normally.)

The high school will be holding an H1N1 clinic the first week of December. I know the school nurse and volunteered to help with sign-in, etc. I'm aggravated, however, that the middle school does not have a flu clinic planned yet. This whole process has been flawed and disorganized from the beginning...starting at the national level.

The local paper had an article/commentary on Mom Guilt as it pertains to the H1N1 shot. On top of everything else mothers have to worry about, getting our kids the shot is becoming a competition. "Good" mothers have managed to get one, the rest of us are slackers. Funny, but I do understand the guilt thing. Maybe I should've parked myself and the kids outside the doctor's office at sunrise that day they offered the shot. Instead, I drove on by when I saw a couple of hundred people snaking out the door into the parking lot. What does that say about me?

And am I the only one annoyed at the incessant articles and early morning news show features describing low-calorie Thanksgiving menus? Um, it's once a year...if I want two servings of turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes with gravy, I'm going to have it. And, pass both the apple and pumpkin pies, please. One holiday is not going to make us overweight and unhealthy. Enjoy, and then move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment