Saturday, November 7, 2009

Really Good Really Easy Dinner Rolls

The other night I made dinner rolls. Homemade dinner rolls. (Pat self on back--I was so excited.) The recipe came from Taste of Home: Honey-Oat Pan Rolls.

I know my way around a kitchen and can and will try to cook anything, but my dinner rolls have always been a disaster. I can make a decent loaf of bread and a good pizza crust, but something about turning dough into rolls has eluded me for years. They're either too hard or too doughy or look unappetizing. They almost always taste okay, if you love bread-y foods, but they never come close to store-bought brown-'n-serve style rolls.

One of the curses of becoming a label reader is realizing all the extra, unhealthy ingredients (like high fructose corn syrup) in simple bread products. (I wrote about trying to buy a healthier loaf of bread here.) I understand some ingredients keep items shelf-stable, but I worry about what all those preservatives are doing to our bodies. Enter home-made bread and rolls, at least occasionally.

The rolls even looked good. I forgot to brush them with melted butter, but we didn't even miss it. Not too sweet and with the addition of whole-wheat flour, these are definitely healthier than store-bought. You could probably even tweak them a bit with healthy additions like flaxseed, or try other grains like rye flour. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook, because I was rushing and didn't have the time or space to knead, so they were really easy to make.

I will definitely make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment