Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Decent Loaf of Bread

Why is it so difficult to find a decent loaf of bread? Why does store bread contain so many weird ingredients? Now that I'm into reading labels (and also to avoid nuts), I find myself disheartened in the bread aisle of most supermarkets. I've finally settled on Barowsky's Organic Breads, not because they're organic, but because I can pronounce most of the ingredients. Too bad they're so expensive (about $4.00-5.00 a loaf).

If we didn't have to worry about the nut issue, I could probably get bread at a decent bakery. Although I do not live in a city, there are some chain bakeries around.

Another option would be to get a bread machine and make my own. I haven't gone that route yet, mostly because while I do enjoy baking, if I had to do it, I would tire of it rapidly. While being self-sufficient sounds romantic, I'm sure it's exhausting. Also, I don't really have the counter space to house another appliance.

However, I have enjoyed baking the Easier No Knead Bread, especially in the winter. There's a whole grain version available in Mark Bittman's new book Food Matters that I will probably try this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment