Thursday, July 2, 2009

Food and Mood

This incessant rain in the Northeast is starting to affect my mood. June is usually one of the sunniest months around here, and it's been dark and wet for weeks. Now we're into July, and while the holiday weekend looks more promising, right now we're dealing with flooded roads and numerous thunderstorms daily. I don't know how people in Britain (rainy, right?), or even Forks, Washington :-), can stand the weather.

I find I have to make more of an effort to eat well and exercise when the weather is gloomy. I read once that some of the northern European countries have less overall depression because of diets high in cold water fish and consequently omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s help balance mood. And while I love fish, it's not that popular in my house so I can't make it that often.

So, I'm being diligent about sprinkling ground flaxseed and walnuts (stored in a bag in the corner of my freezer, away from DD17, who is allergic) on my oatmeal or yogurt. Both flaxseed and walnuts are high in a type of omega-3, and I do think they help with mood. Making an extra effort to reach for the fruit instead of the chips is a good idea, also. You are what you eat, and ensuring a daily supply of those helpful vitamins and minerals through good food choices is a lesson I'm trying to instill in my kids, though I'm not always successful. I guess we're all works-in-progress.

I've also been forcing myself to exercise, and that definitely helps. No matter how much I'd rather not exercise, I'm always glad I did once it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment