Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Nut Allergies and Nut Butter Substitutes

Today's visit with the allergy doctor yielded no surprises. He suggested we keep re-testing, feeling if DD17 outgrows her allergies, it will be slowly. He also thought a peanut vaccine would be available within five years. I doubt, however, that we will be first in line to try it. New vaccines make me nervous, and I especially don't want to experiment on DD17, with all her health problems. (I'm closely following the updates on the Swine Flu vaccine recommendations. I hope I don't have to make a decision to vaccinate or not if this flu mutates and becomes worse.)

So, we've become dependent on nut butter substitutes in this house. We like both I.M. Healthy soynut butter products, and Sunbutter Sunflower Seed Spread. They have distinctive tastes, and are reasonable substitutes for peanut butter. Sunbutter is a bit sweeter, while I.M. Healthy is less salty than peanut butter. I'm a little concerned about the soy in I.M. Healthy, having read conflicting things about soy products, but I guess everything in moderation is my motto.

Both products come in different versions (creamy, crunchy, cocoa), and are available in some supermarkets as well as online. I once tried baking muffins with I.M. Healthy, and they turned out OK. I have to experiment some more, perhaps with cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment