Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Genes

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." -- William Arthur Ward

My father came home from the hospital with more health problems than when he entered. He is 81, so I guess it is to be expected.

However, every time a parent develops a new health problem means our own health story changes, as well as our children's. So, I must make a mental list of new issues to share with my doctor at my next physical appointment.

They say genes are 30% of the story and the rest is lifestyle. That's what I try to explain to my kids. You can't chose your relatives, but you can choose how to live your life. You can't control your genes, but you can control your choices. I hope I am presenting them with the tools to make intelligent health decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment