Thursday, June 18, 2009

Obsessed with Health News

I read health news of any kind. It's an obsession that has grown in the last 5 years. Sometimes health news contradicts itself, which can lead us to throw up our hands and give up trying to eat better, exercise more, etc. Generally, though, I can find some useful nugget of information that I can put to use in my daily life, figuring it can't hurt.

For example:
  • Carrots may offer more cancer-protective properties if they are cooked whole as opposed to cut up. I read this just the other day, in a study reported by Reuters. So while I usually chop up carrots, maybe now I'll use them whole, at least occasionally. My sister recently served a platter of whole roasted carrots and parsnips during a meal. Looked pretty, tasted great. Maybe healthier, too.
  • Research suggests letting chopped onions and garlic sit for about 10 minutes before cooking. "Chop then stop," as it's sometimes described, releases more of the vegetables' potent cancer-fighting and anti-inflammatory benefits. Not hard to implement at all, so why not?
  • Low levels of Vitamin D (the sunshine vitamin) is emerging as a possible culprit in some cancers and autoimmune diseases like MS. Those of us living north of Atlanta are probably deficient in the winter months. Dr. Weil has suggested for a few years now that the National Institutes of Health (NIH) suggested amount of 400 IU per day is too low. In addition to taking a multivitamin with 400 IU, I've tried to up my vitamin D with fortified yogurt, milk, and orange juice. Interestingly enough, at my last physical in November my doctor decided to do some bloodwork and also checked my vitamin D levels for the first time ever. They were on the low side of normal, so at her suggestion, I'm now taking a D3 supplement in addition to my multivitamin. If my husband is around for breakfast (not often), he'll take one too, along with a multivitamin, at my urging. Spotty nutrition, I know, but I do what I can. I'll probably check with the kids' doctors this year and see what their recommendations are. (The boys get a children's vitamin--although DS15 is adult-sized--but I've been afraid to give DS17 a vitamin. I can't seem to get a consensus from any doctor on whether or not it's a good idea for her. The information available online is sketchy in regards to benefits or risks for cancer survivors.)

Sometimes too much information can be overwhelming, but I think some judicious weeding through the onslaught of health news can help us make better choices. And some choices can't hurt, so why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment