Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The World's Most Perfect Food

The sweet potato has been called "the world's most perfect food." A nutritional powerhouse, it's high in fiber and full of antioxidants. I feel good serving it to my family and try to include it in many meals.

Today was damp and cool (again) here in the Northeast, so it seemed like a good night to make a warm meal and include some colorful sweet potatoes. One of my favorite ways of preparing them is simply to peel and dice into cubes. For my family of five, I'll use four big sweet potatoes. I toss the cubed potatoes with about two tablespoons of olive or canola oil and some kosher salt. Sometimes I'll add a dash of hot red pepper. Spread them onto a baking sheet and bake for about 30-45 minutes in a 400 degree oven. With a spatula, flip them once halfway through baking. They won't be as crispy as white potatoes cooked this way; rather, they'll be soft and creamy and really delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I love sweet potatoes but I'm kind of lazy; I usually just stick them in a hot oven for a while and bake them.

    They're also good boiled and mashed, with a little orange juice added for liquid and honey for sweetness.

    ReplyDelete