Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sometimes You Just Need Some Pie

Sometimes you just need some pie. The last week was a tough one. DS12 feels fine but is still on very restricted activity. Try keeping an active 12-year-old boy still for a week. Never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness for video games.

Then, a relative died of cancer. I didn't know him very well, but I so liked him whenever I saw him. He'd been sick only seven months, so it was very quick and very sad. He was in his thirties. Cancer is so unfair.

So instead of stirring the local farm stand's blueberries into yogurt or a smoothie, I felt the need to bake something and pie was it (OK, I actually made two). I concocted a crumb topping instead of a two-crust pie, and all that sugar was so good (80/20 rule applies) and so necessary. The summer version of comfort food, for me.

Good thing it didn't last very long, or I'd probably crave some today. I've had sporadic migraines the last few days, and today's is pretty bad. Not unexpected, given the parade of H(ighs) and
L(ows) on the weather maps for the Northeast. We didn't have much of a summer, but now it's here in all its humid and thunderstormy glory. I hate to complain about it, but the resulting migraines really do stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment