Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Staying Ahead of Dinner Hour

I realized the other day that I forgot to write a Gratitude List. Oh well, maybe I'll do it sporadically. This blogging is supposed to be fun, and I don't need any pressure for the fun parts of my life. I tend to impose a rigid schedule on myself (and others) just to feel organized, but I'm trying to learn how to relax.

We are in the thick of summer baseball, and with most games at 5:30 p.m., dinner hour is shot. If the game is "away," there is no time for a meal beforehand, maybe just a snack or sandwich. We generally don't get home until 8:00 p.m., so dinner needs to be ready to eat at that time.

Yesterday, I prepared dinner early in the day to be reheated later. I made two spinach frittatas since I had a lot of eggs. I like frittatas (or even crustless quiches), since they are easy and very versatile. You can add whatever ingredients you have on hand, and they are good hot or cold.

I also roasted a mixture of cubed eggplant and sweet potatoes, tossed with a little olive oil and kosher salt. Very simple and very good.

In the end, however, a round of severe thunderstorms cancelled all ball games around here so we ended up eating dinner at a decent hour. Bonus for me: it was already made!

No comments:

Post a Comment