Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th Weekend

Our July 4th weekend was quiet and very relaxing. DS15 ran a local 5K and we had a cookout at my parents house. Oddly enough, there were no fireworks locally on the holiday itself, just on the 3rd and maybe the 5th. DS12 is in a baseball tournament, so our nights are busy with that.

The weather has been glorious for the last two days. Bright blue skies, warm air, and no humidity. It almost feels like September around here.

It looks like we missed strawberry season due to all the rain. I stopped at our local farm to pick up a quart of strawberries for the July 4th dessert, and the farmer's wife told me U-pick was about over. Blueberry season starts soon, however, so we have that to look forward to. Picking blueberries are easier than picking strawberries, anyway. Less bending since cultivated blueberry bushes are high. While wild blueberries are "healthier," cultivated blueberries are much easier to get. In the off-season, I keep bags of frozen wild blueberries in the freezer (Wyman's), so we get the best of both worlds.

Wouldn't this post look great with some closeups of strawberries and blueberries? I never seem to be organized enough to take photos ahead of a post...and I don't think I'm a good enough photographer. Maybe that's a goal to work towards...

No comments:

Post a Comment