Saturday, July 25, 2009

Concussion!

You know, sometimes the Fates knock you down a peg. I'm paranoid about seatbelts, veggies, sports safety equipment. Two weeks ago, a teammate of DS12 got hit in the face by a baseball at a game. He suffered a concussion, broken eye socket, and a broken nose. He wore a helmet up at bat, of course, but his helmet did not have a face mask, which would have prevented all the injuries. (He's going to be OK.)

DS12 has a helmet with a face mask. He's one of very few who will wear one, the argument being that you can't see the ball well enough to hit it. Whatever. I've never played ball in my life but I do think you get used to whatever you have to. All my kids have worn mouthguards when playing sports--another way to prevent a concussion (it helps absorb the blow), as well as save your teeth. I admit to being smug about safety.

This past week, DS12 attended a basketball day camp at our local high school. On the last day, I got a call from the coach saying DS12 fell and hit his head. The coach thought I should get down to the HS ASAP. By the time I got there, DS12 had a headache and was nauseous. More worrisome, he had no memory of hitting his head.

Off to hospital we raced, after debating calling an ambulance (it was about 20 minutes away, and I knew I would pass several police details along the way so I was not nervous). At the hospital, he was diagnosed with a concussion. A CT scan showed no other brain injuries (thank goodness). We spent several hours there, and then returned home with instructions for no physical activity nor mental activity (weird) for a week. We will follow up with the pediatrician at that point.

So, how did DS12 get a concussion? According to his friends, HE TRIPPED OVER A BASKETBALL DURING A WATER BREAK. (He still doesn't remember and the coach didn't see it.) Sheesh. Oh, I KNOW I can't control everything. Our lives have certainly taught me that. But you know, I didn't really need a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment