Tuesday, January 5, 2010

ScreenIt.com and Choosing Family-Friendly Movies

Our family rarely (okay, almost never) goes to the movies. Instead, we'll wait for movies to come out on DVD and watch them at home. The older two don't really go with friends, either...it's just not their type of entertainment...too passive, perhaps. But younger DS13 hangs with a movie-going crowd, and it's become a problem. This is a tough age when deciding which movie is appropriate for him to see. I'm very conservative in what I'll allow for entertainment, and dislike having to shell out cash and have my kids exposed to what I consider objectionable content. Most PG-13 movies contain a scene or two that I'd rather my son didn't see.

Thankfully, there is ScreenIt.com to take the guesswork out of choosing a movie. You can subscribe to the site, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on the "No thanks" button, you still get sufficient information to help you decide which movies to allow your kids to see. I don't subscribe and find the free information very helpful for the amount of movies we see. Both current and past releases are reviewed.

Parenting is hard enough, and the entertainment world feels like the Wild West, so it's great to find a site that makes it a little bit easier to raise children.

No comments:

Post a Comment