Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Go-To Meal

Everyone should have a go-to meal...the meal for which you always have the ingredients at hand, and that all family members will eat. Hopefully, it's healthy, economical, and simple to prepare. This is the meal you pull out when you're too tired to think or too busy to cook elaborately.

My go-to meal is pasta with meat sauce and spinach. We like it for its taste (most important with kids), convenience, and ability to fill up teenage boys in a single bound.

There's nothing earth-shattering about my choice, but I do think it marries a kid-favorite with an adult sensibility. I add frozen, organic spinach to the sauce for a good dose of veggie nutrition, as well as color. I also keep small packages of grass-fed chopped meat in my freezer just for this purpose. You don't need a lot of meat for this dish, so better quality meat goes a long way.

I saute the defrosted meat in a splash of wine and olive oil, along with some finely diced onion or even shallot. When nicely browned, I add a can or two of diced tomatoes. Of course, you could add fresh tomatoes this time of year, but this recipe is about convenience. Add a pinch of sugar (to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, if necessary). A leftover rind of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese is good, too. I keep the rinds in a bag in the fridge...they are good for flavoring soup, also.

Bring sauce to a simmer, and cook as long as possible. The longer you let this simmer, the more flavor it will develop. Add a bag or two of chopped, frozen spinach near the end of the cooking time, and reheat until simmering again. Serve over pasta, preferably whole grain.

Today is one of those days. I know I will not feel like thinking about dinner eight hours from now, so this sauce is simmering along while I Get Things Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment