Friday, July 2, 2010

Grilling Portabella Mushrooms

Where have they been all my life? I know I'm late to the party, but this year I started buying and grilling portabella mushrooms. Wow. I never really believed the hype...that they were a good substitute for a burger on a bun, that they were meaty, that they were a good source of protein.

It's all true. They have a unique taste and are indeed a good stand-in for a burger. Grilled, the edges are firm yet crispy, and the center is juicy. They have plenty of flavor (not like any other mushroom I've tasted before) and don't even need toppings (but I add them anyway). Of course they are chock full of nutrients, like most other mushrooms. And the protein content does help to fill you up, so you won't really miss the meat.

To grill, simply brush with some olive oil on both sides and place on medium, direct heat. Flip once or twice when grill marks appear...you can't go wrong. If you overcook them, they are still juicy but they'll shrink a bit.

Place on a bun and top (or not) with lettuce, tomatoes, and a dollop of mayo with some horseradish stirred in. Along with the usual grilled fare this fourth of July, I'll be serving these as an option for those of us who prefer to eat a bit lighter and healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment