Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer Black Bean Salad

Last year I came across this recipe in a book I'd taken out of the library. I can't remember the name of the book, only that the author was one of those famous doctors that claim to turn around health issues by diet changes. Interesting read, I do remember.

I LOVE this recipe. It's fresh, summery, and convenient with a southwest, Mexican taste. I made it yesterday, and should have doubled it because we went through it quickly. It's the perfect salad or even main dish for a hot, summer day.


Black Bean Salad

One 14-ounce can black beans, drained
1 cup sweet corn (frozen or fresh)
2 large ripe tomatoes, cubed; or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 teaspoons cumin
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
Juice of 3 limes
Zest of 1 lime

Mix all ingredients together and serve at room temperature or chilled.

The recipe suggest adding a bit of extra virgin olive oil or cubed, cooked chicken to make a complete meal. I never use jalapeno peppers, so I substituted a 1/2 teaspoon of hot red pepper instead.

I forgot how good this salad is, but the start of corn-on-the-cob season around here reminded me. I'm sure I'll be making it weekly for the rest of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment