Monday, December 21, 2009

Monday Musings

The weekend's big snowstorm was a welcome respite during this crazy busy time. We were stuck at home, and did have to miss a family event out of state, but the forced downtime was good. I did more baking, went to a neighbor's party, and finished decorating. Better late than never. Sometimes I have to push myself to get into the spirit of the season. Often I wonder, why bother? All the trappings can seem meaningless when I get into a mental funk as I start dreading January and all its memories.

I called the hospital and asked to have an MRI, radiation follow-up, and oncology visit on one day. I asked for a day in late January, once DD17 is finished with her mid-terms. They will get back to me once they coordinate the three different appointments. That's how it works.

So I will try not think of that visit until I have to...I've done my part in booking it. The rest is out of my hands. Meanwhile, we have a bit more shopping to do, and then hopefully can really catch our breath and enjoy the spiritual part of the season. There is a small shrine nearby, decorated with lights, and piped-in (religious) Christmas music. It's very nice and very peaceful, and we try to get there once during the season to enjoy a nighttime stroll. (There is another, bigger shrine a bit further away, but we only went once and then crossed it off our list. Let's just say the busloads of people and the excessive lighting displays were the opposite of peaceful. For some reason, the place just screams "velvet Jesus" to me, like velvet Elvis.)

The older two kids have caught colds. There's a bad one going around, and I don't think my two are getting enough rest. Both have a lot of homework and stay up late finishing it. DD17 is just slower with her homework, while DS16 doesn't get home from sports until dinner time. I'm hoping DS13 doesn't catch it, because then I'll have the asthma worry to deal with. But I really can't complain...they've been relatively healthy so far this school season. Their nutrition is good and they get enough exercise, so I hope that's enough to fight off most bugs, and make any illness they do catch of short duration.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to stay healthy too. Trying not to dip into the Christmas cookies (I froze most of them right away). Trying to exercise daily, and include an outdoor walk, too. 'Cause it would all fall apart if Mom gets sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment