Thursday, December 3, 2009

Staying Involved--Helicopter Parents

Tonight the high school has parent-teacher conferences planned. They are very short...obviously not the time nor place to discuss major issues. But because they are so short, we always go to meet the teacher and put a face to a name. Did my parents go to my high school conferences? I don't really remember, but it's doubtful. It was a different time.

We don't really need to go...the kids do well in school and usually there's not much to say other than "nice to meet you" and hear (hopefully) how well they are doing. But all the kids *want* us to go. Is that weird? I don't know...I'm just glad they want us involved (to a point) in their academic lives. Not that they could keep me out if they wanted to.

Am I a helicopter parent? Time magazine recently had an article on helicopter parents and I confess seeing something of myself in there. But I guess I don't really care. One thing I do know is that life is short and our time with our children is shorter. I will embrace every moment I can be involved with and part of their lives, as long as they want me there. So take that, Time.

I fully expect to have frequent texts and emails and cell phone calls from DD17 when she goes off to college. Thank goodness we have so many ways to keep in touch. I would worry constantly about her in particular if she couldn't check in often. I do encourage her to solve her own problems when she comes to me, but I will not disengage.

Tonight will be the last parent-teacher conference I will ever attend for DD17. That phase of our lives is ending. I am glad I have no regrets for the time I spent with her. My only regret is that it's going by much too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment