Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bothering the Hospital

My father suggested getting DD17 her H1N1 shot from "her hospital" (that's how we think of it). I didn't really consider that idea before, but I'm not sure I'd even try. First of all, I don't even know if they have the vaccine. It sounds as if even health care workers are having a hard time getting it. Second, I'm sure first priority would go to "current" patients as opposed to those "off-treatment." Although, children going through chemotherapy often don't get any benefit from flu shots, depending on their blood counts. The higher the white blood cell count, the more effective the shot. Treatment year was when the rest of us started getting flu shots...to keep DD17 flu-free, if possible (it worked).

Calling to ask about a flu shot feels like "bothering" the hospital.

I know how busy pediatric hematology-oncology clinics are. A subtle hierarchy emerges in the cancer journey. When a child is first diagnosed in a major teaching hospital, everyone drops everything for you. You move to the front of the line. MRIs are instantaneous, surgery is immediate.

Later, in the throes of treatment, you are still priority. Appointments are vaguely defined and your phone calls are taken immediately. But once you segue to the "off-treatment" phase, the regular doctor/hospital hassles emerge. There's more sitting around in waiting rooms, and appointments are not always convenient.

But that's OK. We're glad to wait. Please focus on the sick children. Been there, done that. We'll be patient and happy it's not an emergency. So, no I wouldn't call the hospital and ask for a flu shot unless absolutely necessary. We'll wait in line like everyone else, and be thankful we can.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. My name is Diane Moore. I am the founder of an organization called Striving for More. We work on funding emotional and spiritual support for kids with cancer. I came across your blog and found your story interesting. I would love to connect with you. Are you on facebook or twitter? Please contact me. I lost my 9 year old daughter in 6/08 to bone cancer.
    With Hope ~ Diane (diane.moore@striving4more.org)

    ReplyDelete