Friday, October 23, 2009

Pumpkin Chip Muffins

Since I rarely buy packaged cookies anymore, there's a lack of sweets in my house unless I make them myself. Lately I've become a big fan of homemade muffins. They're easier and quicker than baking cookies. You can create infinite varieties by tweaking a basic recipe, and by making a few substitutions, make them healthier to boot.

It feels like Autumn here, and we've had a freeze, so I decided to make pumpkin muffins to mark the season. I used a recipe I found online and made several substitutions to suit our tastes and hopefully up the wholesomeness.

Pumpkin Chip Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 to 1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 to 1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 cup plain pumpkin (I used canned)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup dark chocolate chips
(optional: 4 tbsp. ground flaxseed)

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. In another bowl, blend honey, eggs, pumpkin, and oil. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and springy to touch. Remove to wire racks to cool.

They were quite good, not too sweet, and went quickly. (Like most "quick" bread-type recipes, they'd probably taste even better the next day, if you can wait that long.) Whole wheat makes a denser muffin, but also a more filling one. Next time I might try raisins instead of chocolate chips, and I'm sure the addition of chopped walnuts would be delicious (but we're nut-free here).

No comments:

Post a Comment