Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Salmon Chowder

Salmon Chowder is an easy way to get some fish into the kids. I use a recipe from Cooking Down East by Marjorie Standish, which is a regional cookbook focusing on Maine cooking. Well, maybe mid-century Maine cooking...there are some unfortunate recipes using gelatin, Velveeta, and Campbell's soup. But there lots of simple, easily adaptable recipes too.

I've made some minor adjustments to hopefully make it healthier, maybe sacrificing authenticity in the process. Either way, it's very good.

Salmon Chowder

1 slice turkey bacon*
1 tbsp. canola oil*
3 or 4 slices onion, diced
3 cups diced potatoes
1 cup water
1 14.75 oz. can Alaska sockeye red salmon*
1 quart low-fat milk
pat of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Dice turkey bacon and fry in oil in stockpot. Remove bacon. Saute onion in oil until golden. Add potatoes and water. Cover and bring to steaming point. Cook on low heat about 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Break up canned salmon and add to pot. Stir lightly, add milk and pat of butter. Heat slowly but do not allow to boil. Remove from heat.

This tastes better the longer it ages. I try to make it earlier in the day, or even the day before, then re-heating and serving.

*The original recipe uses salt pork and/or butter. I never have salt pork on hand, so I rarely use it. The author also suggests using pink salmon, as it's cheaper and just as tasty, but I want the omega-3s from the sockeye salmon. Also, typically the bones and skin are removed from the salmon before using in a chowder, but I keep them in. The bones are a good source of calcium and very soft. I don't mind the skin, but it might not look appealing to some. Finally, I almost never use whole milk, but I'm sure the recipe was not intended for low-fat milk.

Canned salmon is so versatile. I'd love some other ways to use it, in addition to the salmon burgers we like.

No comments:

Post a Comment