Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Waiting for the Shot

Daily calls to the pediatrician's flu hotline haven't yielded any new information, nor any H1N1 shots. It looks like last week's vaccine shipment was all they'll get this month (which is almost over). At this point, I'm hoping the schools get the vaccine first. I don't think I can face another flu clinic with all the surrounding hysteria. What ever happened to the sizable percentage of people who don't trust the vaccine and won't get it for their kids? Now it seems everyone wants one, but perhaps we're just being played by the media and that's the group that's getting the air time. Or, as one television commentator put it, there's nothing like a shortage to cause demand.

Meanwhile, the number of absent students in local schools continues to rise. DS12 tells me that he heard from a teacher that once a certain number is reached, his school will close, and they are almost at that number. But I'm not convinced it's just H1N1...DS12 had an upper respiratory virus this past week, so that's going around too.

He's better, but I think he may be cooking a sinus infection. At the advice of his doctor, I will keep him on Flovent for two weeks, or even longer, at least until he can get the shot. I'm certainly no asthma expert since his is so sporadic and just diagnosed two years ago, but I do feel it's better to keep his lungs as clear as possible during this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment