Saturday, October 31, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine Frustration...and Saturday Random

Yesterday's flu hotline at the pediatrician's office said there would be a limited amount of H1N1 injectable vaccine distributed today from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. I looked at our schedule and realized we could swing it--the kids could skip two activities for this. So I piled everyone in the car around 9:30 a.m. and made the 10 minute trek to the doctor's office in hopes of being first in line.

Silly me. We couldn't even get into the parking lot. The line of people stretched from the door all around the lot...I couldn't even see the end. I can't even begin to imagine what time the line started forming. I just know I don't have it in me to wait for several hours without any guarantee of getting a shot. So we drove on by.

I'm guessing the hysteria is fueled by the news yesterday that a local school (not ours) was shutting down all next week because of extreme absenteeism due to flu-like symptoms. Really, I don't know who to believe any more....the news about all the parents against the vaccine, or the news about such extreme shortage that even healthy adults are snagging shots when they can ("cheater" stories are starting to make news). I *may* call at the tail end of the clinic and see if by chance there's anything left, but I highly doubt it.

-----------
The weekend schedule involves lots of outdoor activities, and the weather should cooperate. The change back to standard time tomorrow makes daylight all the more precious, so I'm happy to have us all out and about when we can. It'll be dark tomorrow by 4:30, which is depressing. The flip side is that it will be light at 6:45 a.m. when the older kids catch the bus, thank goodness.

-----------
I'm wondering if my community is in some kind of time warp when it comes to Halloween. I don't really remember trick or treating past a certain age (maybe 13 or so). But here, even the older teenagers go out, usually in costume. On one hand, I'm glad they're not too cool to consider it and that, contrary to popular belief, kids aren't growing up too fast (at least in this regard) but on the other hand, it's a little creepy when a pack of tall kids with facial hair comes to the door. Regardless, they are always polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment