Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Fish Dish that Works for Us

Last night I made salmon burgers. It's been hard trying to work more fish into our diets, and there are so many issues to consider with seafood. We're supposed to consider farm-raised versus wild, contaminants like mercury, freshness, and omega-3 levels. Most of all, however, will the kids eat it?

I think I found a winner in salmon burgers. Yes, the first half-dozen times I made them, the reception was lukewarm. But I think the kids have slowly come to like them and even appreciate their goodness. (I talk up the nutrition every meal, to some eye-rolling, but I think they get it.) My version of salmon burgers is easy and good for all of us:
  • I use canned, wild Alaskan red sockeye salmon for higher nutrition, lower cost, and convenience. BJs Wholesale Club has good prices for the Bumble Bee brand.
  • I add finely chopped veggies like green peppers or celery and herbs for more flavor. Sometimes I'll use a dash of tabasco.
  • You can add wheat germ, ground flaxseed, or even oatmeal to the bread crumbs for a binder.
  • They are low in saturated fat compared to beef burgers.
  • They are high in good-for-your heart omega-3s.
  • You can top them with lettuce and tomato for yet more veggie nutrition and flavor.

For my family, I'll use two 14.75 oz cans. I rinse the contents under running water to lower the sodium a bit, and then mix the salmon with two eggs and one cup of whole wheat bread crumbs plus any diced veggies I have on hand. Assemble into burgers and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to set.

I cook the salmon burgers on my George Foreman grill, but they can be pan-fryed. I don't think they'd survive the outdoor grill as they are too delicate. Serve on rolls, and (optionally) top with a little bit of tartar sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment