Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mixed Messages on the H1N1 Flu

A neighbor's pediatrician told her she would not recommend the H1N1 flu shot to her patients. I find this very confusing, as my pediatrician does recommend them and will even give them to her own children. I wish everyone was on the same page because it would make these decisions easier. I haven't heard of any adverse reactions to the vaccine in trials, but who knows what may crop up when many, many schoolchildren are inoculated.

It may be a moot point around here, as DD17 said a classmate has been confirmed to have the H1N1 flu. Supposedly she *was* tested for it, and has been out of school ever since. She is an athlete and I suspect if it was going to spread, it would spread to her team first. We'll see what happens next. I keep reminding myself that for most people, it's just the flu, as uncomfortable as that is. For most people, it will not be a life-threatening illness. I need to get back to that place where I just accept what comes, because control is always an illusion.

1 comment:

  1. We had a huge outbreak of H1N1 in May/June this year - the media went crazy and it was complete overkill - unless you're pregnant, have cancer or autoimmune disease - it's just another flu.

    ReplyDelete