Thursday, September 24, 2009

Simple Butternut Squash

Today I stopped by our local farm to pick up some apples and assorted vegetables. Unless I'm desperate, I can't bring myself to purchase in a supermarket what I can buy at a farm this time of year. Yes, sometimes it's inconvenient to shop for groceries at one place and then vegetables at another place. But I know I'm doing my small part in encouraging our family farms to keep on going. And of course the produce is more nutritious and fresher if just picked.

At the farm, an older woman saw me picking out some butternut squash and asked me how I prepare it. I was a little surprised, because I tend to think everyone else around me is the expert and I'm just a poseur. But maybe cooking isn't her thing, and she isn't Internet-savvy enough to google butternut squash.

So I told her how I make butternut squash: On a sturdy cutting board, split the squash in half length-wise. Scoop out the seeds and place both halves cut-side up in a roasting pan. Add about an inch of water to the pan and cover tightly with tin foil. Bake in the oven at 350 for at least an hour, depending on the size of the squash. Remove foil carefully, allowing steam to escape. Scoop out the tender flesh and season with salt and pepper. You can add butter or a little sweetener like brown sugar or maple syrup, but I like it plain.

I love squash, but it takes some convincing for DS12 to eat it. I try to reason with him, and tell him that no, it doesn't taste like a brownie, it tastes like a squash (that makes him laugh). Once a child adjusts his expectations and accepts a vegetable for what it is, he may even come to appreciate it. Sometimes it seems like a never-ending process, but I see the results in my older two. You just can't give up.

------------
My blog has a Follower, other than my husband. I'm not even sure what that means (I haven't investigated all the Blogger features yet), but I'm glad to know someone else out there has seen my blog besides Filljonk. Dr. Susan Rubin has some very interesting blogs, and I look forward to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment