Monday, September 28, 2009

Beets and The World's Healthiest Foods

My weekly e-newsletter from the The World's Healthiest Foods (a great website!) includes an article about beets. Coincidentally, I had a couple in my refrigerator and sort of forgot to use them this past weekend. So tonight I think I will peel, chop and roast them with some potatoes as a side dish to roast chicken. I love when inspiration strikes...it takes the drudgery out of cooking.

As a child, I probably had beets from a can. They are much better fresh. We like them roasted and caramelized with onions and olive oil, but I admit I haven't tried them many other ways yet. Their red color can be a little shocking to kids, but that just adds interest to the meal.

George Mateljan's website is an incredible source of information. I've even emailed them to ask specific questions and they've always responded...sort of like having your own personal nutritionist. Of course, he has a slant towards natural, whole foods prepared certain ways. But I believe knowledge is power, and it's always interesting to hear other points of view. For example, he doesn't cook with olive oil but I don't think he'd ever convince me to give that up.

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly each time I was pregnant, in my first trimester - I craved beetroot every day and had to have it in my salad sandwich for lunch - there must be something in it!

    Thanks so much for coming by my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete