Thursday, September 10, 2009

Summer Wrap-up

The kids are back in school, and I always forget how hectic the start of the school year can be. Between getting them organized, new school supplies (constant trips to Staples or Walmart), and the start of sports season, the days feel too short. The dwindling daylight doesn't help, either.

It was a good summer. There were some lows, but in general I look at things differently now. For five years now, I just feel so thankful for what is. I'm really happy just hanging with the kids, and simply enjoying the time. This year, the lousy weather made the nicer days that much more precious. I feel as if I'm drifting towards middle-age (technically, I'm probably already there), but I get so much pleasure out of just sitting on my deck and watching the birds at the feeder. Or counting how many hummingbirds approach, something that would never have interested me years ago. I try to convey this kind of joy to the kids...I want them to just be happy now, with what is, than wanting something, wanting to go somewhere. More often than not, I feel as if I'm successful. They don't have a lot of demands, and don't need lots of external entertainment. Maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. They seem pretty well-adjusted and happy, which I secretly worry about, given the emotional trauma illness can cause.

DD17 and I had a good time watching this chipmunk on our patio right before school started. He sat on the bench for the longest time. We got
several shots of him, and he barely moved. I was a little nervous he might have rabies or something since he didn't act as other chipmunks do, but maybe he just felt right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment