Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Let the Flu Clinics Begin!

Last weekend I took DS15 and DS12 to the pediatrician's first of three flu clinics. (DD17 was taking ACTs.) I thought no one would be there, that it wouldn't be on anyone's radar screen yet. It's only mid-September and most of us with kids are still in the back-to-school craziness period.

I was very wrong. We pulled up to the building and people were spilling into the parking lot. We pushed our way in to get our names on the list, and the office was overflowing with parents and kids, filling every chair and standing against every free space of wall--a total mob scene. With 5 nurses giving the shots, we were there for 30 chaotic minutes only, yet the Great Flu Scare of Autumn 2009 became very apparent to me. I guess I'm not the only parent overdosing on the H1N1 news. It seems like most of us are heeding the advice to get the regular flu shot now, so that there is an interval between it and the H1N1 shot in October.

DD17 will receive her shot this upcoming weekend, at the 2nd flu clinic. We had never received flu shots before she was diagnosed, but during her treatment period, we were advised by the hospital to get inoculated since she couldn't. So we've been getting our shots for the last 5 years, and it does add some piece of mind to the winter. I know the shot isn't always a perfect match, but I suspect it's better than nothing. And having had the flu about 8 years ago and being completely miserable, I'd rather not get it again.

And in the last 5 years, DS12 has been diagnosed with asthma. I don't fully understand asthma, as he gets it sporadically, perhaps after every 4th cold (so only once or twice a year), but it can be scary to watch. So I'm glad he and DD17 are officially on the "list" of kids who should get a shot if there is a shortage.

My husband and I walked into a local chain pharmacy for our shots this week. Our doctor's office couldn't confirm they would get any until November, and we fall into that vague "middle age" group that is always at the bottom of the list. However, parents can't get sick either! So we took it upon ourselves to pay for our shots and the insurance company will reimburse us. Now we just have to worry about the H1N1 shot and all its implications, but that's a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment