Saturday, September 26, 2009

Pesto

Tonight I made pesto. I haven't made it in years, probably because the kids didn't like it at one time. But yesterday I was flipping through my collection of Taste of Home cookbooks, and saw the recipe for Basil Parsley Pesto. My mother has been offering me parsley from her garden all summer, and I hardly ever use it. So I was inspired by the recipe, my mother's parsley, and my soon-to-freeze basil to try pesto again.

Here's the recipe from the 2001 issue of Taste of Home:

1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup tightly packed fresh parsley leaves
1 to 2 gloves of garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor; cover and puree until smooth. Toss with hot cooked pasta.

It was delicious. The kids loved it. It was spicy and peppery and pungent. And so very green. I wish I had thought to try it sooner. It fits in so well with my "eat your colors" mantra.

The recipe did not call for any pine nuts or walnuts, which I wouldn't have used anyway because of DD17's nut allergy. But it was wonderful just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment