Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Shower of Books

A family friend is adopting a child from Kazakhstan. A relative is throwing her a shower and requesting books for gifts. I think this is a wonderful idea, and so useful for an older couple who can afford to buy anything the child will need. Having an established library will hopefully encourage a love of reading, as well as help the child learn English. I've written about my kids' own collection of books here, and feel that instilling a love of reading is one of the best gifts you can give a child.

I asked the kids to choose a favorite book from early childhood, and then inscribe the book with a welcome note for the child. Yesterday I went to the bookstore and bought their choices. DD17 picked Corduroy (because she still has her favorite Teddy Bear), DS15 picked Where the Wild Things Are (described him perfectly when he was little), and DS12 picked Curious George (ditto!).

We can't make the shower, but I mailed off the books today.

No comments:

Post a Comment