Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Food Challenge

I'm challenging myself this week to shop from my cupboards, fridge, and freezer. However, I'm quantifying this as "challenge lite" because I've given myself permission to shop for fresh fruits and vegetables and dairy. So this is mostly about coming up with a daily main course (dinner) from foods I already have in the house.

Why this challenge? Several reasons:

I *hate* food shopping. My normal schedule is to get out of the house early in the day and shop before it gets too crowded. With the kids home this week, I can't get out as soon as I'd like.

I have a well-stocked pantry. I'll shop and buy non-perishable staples like brown rice, beans, pasta, canned tomatoes, and then forget I have them as I get side-tracked by tempting sale items. It's good to rotate the foods in the cupboard.

This time of year is uninspiring, food-wise. Sadly, I hit the creative (kitchen) wall right about now. Produce is definitely not local. We're getting a bit tired of the heavier meals but it's way too cold to think about lighter, fresher dishes.

Lent starts this week. Ash Wednesday is a day of fasting (or mostly fasting, for those not familiar with Catholic rules). Meat is not allowed, nor is it allowed on Fridays during Lent, so that's two days where non-perishables come in handy. And luckily, I have fish in the freezer so that's an option, too. The notion of "giving up" something fits in with this challenge, too.

Yesterday, I made salmon burgers and spinach brown rice casserole, all from ingredients I had on hand. I added corn as a side, also, from my freezer.

Tonight I will make a pasta dish with canned tuna, DD17's favorite meatless pasta dish. Most of this week may end up being meatless, now that I think of it. Oh well, that would be healthier for all of us, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment