Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ryvita Crispbread--My New Favorite Snack Food

When the kids have a craving for something crunchy, they reach for the packages of Ryvita Crispbread I keep in the cupboard. I discovered them recently, and fell in nutritional love. I cannot believe how few ingredients they contain: rye, salt, and sometimes sesame seeds or oats--wow. No chemicals, no preservatives. Ryvita, where have you been all my life?

Research suggests that whole rye products provide numerous health benefits, like lowering the risk of Type II diabetes, preventing gallstones, keeping cholesterol levels in check, and protecting against breast and colon cancer.

Trying to find whole rye products can be difficult, and rye bread (like other supermarket breads) often contain too many scary preservatives. Ryvita Crispbread is a great way to get this grain in our diet. We like it plain, topped with melted cheese or nut/seed butters, or even with some smoked salmon. The other day I had some for lunch, topped with veggie refried beans and a dollop of salsa. I'm so excited to have discovered a wholesome, simple food right on the supermarket shelf, in the midst of so much junk. And I'm even more excited that the kids seem to have developed an appreciation for real, simple food, without all the added artificial flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment